- Size: 10MB
- Format: eBooks, PDF format
- Requirement: Adobe Acrobat Reader 9.0 or greater
- Book Length: 160 pages, 75,000 words
- Dimensions: 8.5″ x 11″
- ISBN: 9781935694496
- Publication Date: August, 2020
What You’ll Learn
Grant Collier provides comprehensive advice on capturing stunning nightscapes, including:
- What equipment & camera settings to use.
- Software programs and apps for planning your shots.
- Light painting the foreground and recommended flashlights.
- Create panoramas by stitching multiple images that can be printed very large.
- Techniques for stacking images and blending multiple exposures to increase detail.
- Focus stacking to increase depth of field.
- Capturing star trails (including creating comet-like star trails) with camera.
- Using an equatorial mount (or star tracker).
- How to photograph the Milky Way, northern lights, eclipses, meteors, lightning, air glow, lava, and more!
- Enlarging star size, minimizing noise, light pollution, and elongated stars in post-processing.
What People Are Saying
I’ve been contemplating writing my own e-book on this very topic; however, I feel like there’s no way I could have done a better job than Grant has in this tremendous guide.
If you weren’t enthralled with night photography before, you will be after reading this book.
It should be considered a ‘must read’ by anyone wanting to take photographs of night sky phenomena.
It is the night photography book from which I have learned the most.
I have several books on night photography and this one is clearly the best of them all.
Collier’s eBook is well written, well researched and well referenced. On top of all that the book is packed with stunning images.
It covers everything you need to get started, is quite detailed and thorough, features plenty of amazing example photos, and is very reasonably priced.
It has become my number one source as a night photo guide…it is a guide for almost all situations we can encounter in the outdoors.
Extremely comprehensive…he gives great tips on how to blend multiple exposures, create huge stitched images, and how to process your images to make them the best that they could be.
I was very impressed by the amount of detail that Collier covered in the book and the photos were top-notch…I highly recommend this book!
This book is well written with an amazing amount of detail.
Eye candy to look at and encyclopedic to read. Best book on night photography I’ve ever seen.
About Collier’s Guide to Night Photogrpahy
The night sky may be the most awe-inspiring spectacle that any of us will ever see. It can, however, be difficult to capture in a photograph, as it requires specialized techniques that are rarely used when shooting images during the day.
In this fully-updated 2nd edition, Grant Collier sheds light on how to capture these otherworldly images by sharing secrets he has learned over the past 17 years. He explains how to take photos of the Milky Way, northern lights, meteors, eclipses, lightning, and much more.
Grant begins by reviewing equipment and supplies that are helpful when photographing at night. He then discusses many software programs, web sites, and mobile apps that will help you plan your shots. Finally, he offers extensive advice on how to capture and process images at night. He goes beyond the basics and teaches how to blend multiple exposures and create huge stitched images to capture incredibly detailed photos that you never before thought possible!
The 2nd edition has been completely updated and includes 50 new images. The sections on cameras and lenses have been rewritten and now include tables to make it easier to see all the recommended gear. All of the web links have been updated, and include many new web pages you can use to plan your photoshoots. All information on post-processing has been updated for use with Photoshop and Lightroom CC 2020. This includes some powerful new techniques for blending multiple exposures taken at night. There is also new information on Photoshop plug-ins and other software that is useful for night photography.